Widow

I am black.

I have mourned for you, endlessly
like a night sky,
my soul a black galaxy of nothingness
where a thousand thoughts
flicker and fade.

Oh you that I loved
To think of those blank eyes
clogged heavy-closed with soil.
dirt in your lovely throat,
The fine shape of you moulding in clay
as you melt away into earth.


Are you falling apart inside?
Is your thick skin finally moistened?
by the damp of dark-mossed earth.




There in your breath a sudden smell
of light. I remember seeing
my face reflected in the dark orb
of your eye. Remember how,
before the black magic worked
you were all gold,
white fire and crystal light.



and it thrills me that this skin you touched
still breathes life
while yours feeds worms

Do they gnaw at your bones? like you
gnawed on mine. Do they make
small holes in your heart?



..And precious, my precious
I lived with you long
in your shadow, I was even then
your black widow
mourning the man I had loved

You, you turned bitter
And I spun my black web of death around me
You didn't see me
smiling to myself
as I spun



Patience is sweet, one slow dreg
of wine, and I sucked it
sour-sweet on my tongue,
and smiled to myself
as I spun


My soul a black galaxy
where a thousand thoughts
flicker and fade.

Comments

Popular Posts

COPYRIGHT © MADRI KALUGALA, 2020

COPYRIGHT © MADRI KALUGALA, 2020
"An Almond Moon and the White Owl", 2016.
Out of the ashes I rise with my red hair,
and I eat men like air- Plath.

WHY I WRITE

I write, simply, to dispel the voices in me that demand to be freed. My mind weaves like branches, to and fro, and up- to an opaque sky. Listen and you'll hear those wild leaves, whispering.