Riversong



I poured my love down the river, emptied out my soul
(as I murmured low a psalm), from the vessel of my palms
spilled my heart out to the water, bled my life-blood in a bowl
And being Eva’s daughter,
like the lamb led quiet to slaughter,

thought ‘twas Innocence reflected like a mirror off my own,
that in the sparkling water shone-

And I drained a pot of honey to the salt, salt sea;
thought the sweet would soft adulterate the tang of tears within-
But could all the honey in the world dilute the salt of misery?
-in my hands the emptied pot,
I learned that it would not;

against the war of salt and torrent, woman- could not win

in the darkened water shone,
like a shining piece of bone-

my love lying cold, like a corpse grown old,


at the bottom of a river and a deep blue sea.

Comments

Popular Posts

COPYRIGHT © MADRI KALUGALA, 2020

COPYRIGHT © MADRI KALUGALA, 2020
"An Almond Moon and the White Owl", 2016.
Out of the ashes I rise with my red hair,
and I eat men like air- Plath.

WHY I WRITE

I write, simply, to dispel the voices in me that demand to be freed. My mind weaves like branches, to and fro, and up- to an opaque sky. Listen and you'll hear those wild leaves, whispering.