I have paid to you my dues.

Bereft of a home, I have for so long
usurped the homes of men; but now
I have paid to you my dues.

In the hearts of men I've built my homes,
the hammocks that have rocked my bones;
to rest, a makeshift bed-
Two arms to come back home to, a roof
over my head. In search of a lighted hearth
from which I wouldn't be turned away;
unknowingly, I've been searching for home:
a place called mine to stay.


The marooned heart of a little girl that never
quite belonged; never quite was wanted,


like a brushstroke that went wrong
in a masterwork's final touch:
a stroke of fate to be to-le-rate
-ed -- but always one too much


In love I have no trust at all,
but they offered me their trembling souls;
so I opened up their chests,
and slowly built in there my nests,
- now I know that that was wrong.

I have usurped the homes of men
in my desperate haste to belong:


But I have paid my dues; and now
could I have my slate wiped clean?
I've sold my soul
to buy them love, paid penances unseen
to hear them say, I've done so much:
gave you a home, you fucking bitch--


but you wouldn't have said that, would you?
if I had had another home to go?


Home should be a birthright.
father, mother, you should know;

I've made my homes in hollowed coves
in chests of men, and now
I know why I could never take root;


those homes were broken, too-


a place of shelter built of clay
like the lonely wayfarer's rest,
a stop on the traveler's way.
And while for my stay, I am thankful-
a house built by a man
will never withstand
the turbulent tornado's test.

So now I've paid my penances,
and never once again
will I try to build myself a home
in the borrowed hearts of men.

Comments

Popular Posts

COPYRIGHT © MADRI KALUGALA, 2020

COPYRIGHT © MADRI KALUGALA, 2020
"An Almond Moon and the White Owl", 2016.
Out of the ashes I rise with my red hair,
and I eat men like air- Plath.

WHY I WRITE

I write, simply, to dispel the voices in me that demand to be freed. My mind weaves like branches, to and fro, and up- to an opaque sky. Listen and you'll hear those wild leaves, whispering.